Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A Perfect Balance: Emma Strachan

A Perfect Balance.


Emma Strachan has been crowned British Champion more than once in her career, three times in fact. For this talented Sports Acrobat, life isn’t just about training anymore. We talked camper vans, coaching and becoming a ‘proper adult.


As I walked into the gym where Emma trains I was instantly struck by the up-beat Latino vibes of the music filling the room. The other gymnasts in compete awe of her talent. Emma is subconsciously showing off her natural skill for the sport and the personal flare which she adds to all of her routines. With the grace of her dancing, pure strength and the perfect synchronisation of their balance and tempo elements, Emma and her partner are able to create a perfect cocktail of gymnastics, which the judges love.

This time it is only a practice and as the music stops Emma and Ellie, her extremely supple and equally talented partner instantly look at their coach for a reaction, before running over for advice on how to be even better.

In the 10 minutes they spend talking to their coach Neil, Emma is completely focused on what he is telling her, absorbing all she can to add that little extra pizzazz to her performance. As they walk off together, grab their water bottles and sit down for one of what Emma calls her trade mark
‘pep talks’ she noticed me watching and ran over to great me.

The first thing she asked was if I thought her routine was ‘alright’, not in an ego massaging way but purely for more critical feedback. It is not long before she completely changes the subject to her new kitten and is keen to show me pictures of it clawing her brand new cream sofas!

“I love Mo, she’s my baby but she is wreaking my new sofas and my all guests go home with gaping holes in their hands- I suppose she thinks she’s our guard cat!”

After 20 years of living with her Mum she decided to move out last year into her own flat and now 18 months down the line she is buying a house with long term boyfriend Anthony. Both Emma and Anthony have a passion for sports and Volkswagen campervans

“Sometimes I take a weekend off training to be with Anthony, we love going away in the van to the seaside, it nice to have a break now and then, it keeps you interested in the sport”

Things suddenly moving up a gear in Emma’s personal life caused her to consider quitting the sport. She made the decision to leave last year, but lasted two weeks and went back to train. The downfall to this change of heart was that in this space of time she sold the majority of her leotards and had to spend a small fortune on new ones.

“It was so upsetting to leave, I thought it would give me extra time, but I missed training so I decided to go back, and had to laugh when I remembered I had sold all my leotards!”

Her attitude to her gymnastics career hasn’t always been this laid back, Emma herself admits that just two years ago she wouldn’t not have taken any time off and was so submerged she could not focus on anything else, not even her A-levels.

“You can get so involved in your training you forget about everything else, now I have all the experience behind me I can switch off and enjoy other parts of my life, and maybe I’ll become a proper adult soon”

The former British Champion started gymnastics at the age of four, and has achieved a huge amount in this time. She has won competitions at club, regional, national and even at an international level, travelling for a competition in Poland. Her previous club CHANCE has a reputation for having a strong squad and Emma and her former partner Jessica Perry proved this by snatching the title for the first time six years ago.

In 2002 she moved to Stafford Gymnastics club, paired up with Ellie, and started the process again. This time her ties to the club are not just as a gymnast but also as a valued member of the coaching team

“Coaching is great, I can pass my knowledge on to other gymnasts, I can help Ellie loads. It is rewarding to see gymnasts work their way up into the squads”

Like many other gymnasts it is comforting for Emma to know she can stay involved in the sport long after she stops competing, but Emma has no intention of stopping anytime soon.

“I know I’m getting old for a gymnast, bit of a granny! But I’m not done just yet, as long as I’m still doing well and enjoying the training I will carry on. I have a lot more competing and winning inside of me yet”

Since writing the article Emma has moved to South Staffs Gymnastics Club, joined forces with talent top, Chloe and determined Middle, Carly. The trio recently won bronze at Grade 4 trio at the British Championships. They are sure to have more success in the near future too.

1 comment:

webclicmtl said...

She's so perfect at gymnastics! Well balance is only one portion of her aspect. Gym mats